Monday, November 25, 2013

No Exit

1. Think about the place you have chosen as your hell. Does it look ordinary and bourgeois, like Sartre's drawing room, or is it equipped with literal instruments of torture like Dante's Inferno? Can the mind be in hell in a beautiful place? Is there a way to find peace in a hellish physical environment?
My hell would have to be school because it causes me to have to wake up early and it is a very ordinary place. I think a mind can be hell in a beautiful place because if you are someone with a short temper and you are at Disneyland, I have a feeling that day isn't going to go so well. Picture a soldier at war, I'm sure he is in hell most of the time, but when he gets a call or a letter from his family. It probably feels like a little piece of heaven.

2. Could hell be described as too much of anything without a break?
I believe that no matter how bad things are it has to let up sometime. So no, I don't think hell can be described as too much of anything.

3. How does Sartre create a sense of place through dialogue? Can you imagine what it feels like to stay awake all the time with the lights on with no hope of leaving a specific place? How does GARCIN react to this hell? How could you twist your daily activities around so that everyday habits become hell? Is there a pattern of circumstances that reinforces the experience of hell?
I think the most important part of the way we perceive the setting is in the beginning when the valet and Garcin are talking and we hear all of his disgusts with the place he will be staying. I could never imagine not being able to sleep because I would be in a terrible mood all the time and not many people would want to talk to me.Garcin tries to make the most of Hell which is a good thing, but no matter what he does o make the best of it, its always going to be Hell. If I really wanted to make my life a living Hell I would have six classes and get two part time jobs. I like being able to have sometime to relax, but there wouldnt be anytime for that with two jobs and a full day of school.

No comments :

Post a Comment